Friday, March 28, 2008

business hours are over, baby

So, this morning I'm in the elevator, which is unusually full of people going up to the 8th floor, the Indonesian consulate, well, there was also an older business guy who just seemed like a friendly type who smiles a lot. The elevator car emptied at the consulate and then it was just me and the older guy. He looks at me, smiles and says, "So, how's business?" I was caught completely off-guard, because honestly, aside from knowing whether or not I have a job to return to every morning, I have very little idea how business is. I have absolutely no idea how to answer this question and am racking my brain to to come up with something—anything. This must have shown on my face because the friendly business guy's face dropped a bit and he wasn't sure how to proceed. Thinking he'd made a blunder, he looked at me and said, as if not only did I not know how to answer the question, but I'm pretty convinced, he thought I didn't understand English, "Uhhh, bus-i-ness. How... is... it... ?" Now, I felt silly and bad. The guy was just trying to be friendly, so, I quickly stammered, "Uhhh. Ok. It's ok, I guess." I shrugged and laughed nervously. So, he shrugged, mirrored me and said, "Yea. Ok. It's ok." It's all oooo-k.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

funny! that's the song i'm listening to now...