Sunday, July 08, 2007

summertime and the livin's easy

The cicadas have emerged and are providing a soundtrack for the fireflies fanciful lightshow, meaning the summer is warming up and winding down. As I sit here sweating, pondering the summer thus far, I'm looking forward and wondering what the dog days will bring.

Perhaps more farmers' markets? I just took the long way home to check out my neighborhood farmers' market. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the neighborhood association was obviously just as bummed as I was about the pathetic showing last year and took action. The market's grown three-fold and this year appears to host actual farmers (I know?!?) not just some dude who emptied his vegetable crisper and posted a half-assed sign reading: buy or trade. There are baked goods, tons of fresh cut flowers, organic honey, locally made cheeses and a lunch tent selling bar-b-q, summer squash salad, corn muffins and sweet tea; I don't fully comprehend the southern thing, but it looked enticing all the same. So, ya, that's right on Logan Square, folks, every Sunday from 11am-3pm.

Maybe more concerts in the park? I'm looking forward to The Decemberists with the Grant Park Orchestra on the 18th and hoping Seu Jorge will return for what's shaping-up to be his annual concert in the park. A girl can dream.

Looks like I missed the boat on the Sonic Youth Daydream Nation thing at Pitchfork, but really, that's ok. Following Os Mutantes troubling Wings-inspired reunion performance at Pitchfork last year, it may be for the best.

Ultimately, I forcast dog days spent enjoying farmers' market goodies, spending evenings sitting on the porch watching fireflies and listening to the cicadas battle for dominance with whichever record's on the turntable. Not so bad, I think.

No comments: