Saturday, December 05, 2009

Thanksgiving in LA and environs

Here I will attempt to start filling in the gaping hole that is November.
Among other things, I spent Thanksgiving week in and around Los Angeles. The ultimate goal being to spend the holiday with family and to celebrate my Gramma's birthday, but I also snuck in a little sightseeing with old friends. In addition to my high school BF, I was able to spend some time with a good friend from Philly who now lives in Hollywood.
Following lunch at The Grove, we wandered Hollywood Boulevard a bit, which was both fun and weird. I hadn't really been down there since high school and while it's cleaned-up nicely, I kind of missed the teenage runaways. The only freaks left seemed to be the celebrity look-alikes.
We'd thought about hitting Melrose Avenue for old-time sake, but opted for pool side cocktails at the Roosevelt Hotel. Site of the first Academy Awards in 1929, the hotel also hosted celebrities like Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe. The later's first magazine photo shoot took place at this very pool and more eerily, she's said to haunt the place. Oh, how I would have liked to have seen such a glamourous ghost.
Ghastly... A couple of days later, we headed out to Santa Monica, because no trip to California is compete without seeing the Pacific. Following a surprisingly scream-worthy go at the Sea Dragon and Zoltar advising Aneek to live everyday as if it were her last, I made a new green friend - a 13 year-old parrot who proceeded to fall asleep on my shoulder. I'll post more LA photos to Flickr, but you get the idea.
I ultimately had a huge Thanksgiving dinner with my grandparents, mom, aunt, uncle and cousins. I am grateful to have had the opportunity to spend time in a place that holds so many warm-and-fuzzies for me, with people I see way too infrequently. And with that, happy holidays, all. Here's to good food, family and friends.

No comments: